Susan Reimer ‘Muffins Fast and Fantastic’
There are an abundance of muffins to make from the latest 4th edition of Susan Reimer ‘Muffins Fast and Fantastic’. The contents page split into five sections; Chocolate, Nuts and Oats, Fruit, Bran and Savoury.
I chose three pear recipes from Oats, Chocolate and Fruit. All three recipes are easy to put together and all take twenty minutes each to bake in total.
* The latest update from Susan Reimer muffin book is her learning the additional benefits of strong bread flour. I read that this flour made a real impression on her baking. Reimer only uses this type of flour as the results are consistently favourable for her muffins.
‘Oat Pear Muffin Recipe’
* 250g Strong white bread flour
2½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
¼ teaspoon of salt
50g rolled oats (½ c)
3 tablespoons chocolate chips
1 large egg
75-85 whole granulated sugar (½ c)
100ml vegetable oil
3 tablespoons pear juice or water
200g finely chopped pear, fresh or tinned (1 c)
1. Preheat a conventional oven to 190°C (375°F), Gas Mark 5, fan oven 170°C. Prepare the muffin pan or individual silicone cases
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Add oats and chocolate chips (chocolate can be omitted if preferred)
3. In a medium-sized bowl, beat egg briskly with a fork. Add sugar, oil, milk, juice/water, and pear
4. When the oven is ready, pour wet mixture into dry. Mix ligthly with a metal spoon just until combined and no dry flour is visible, about 20 seconds. Do not beat or over stir
5. Fill cups nearly full. Bake about 20 minutes until lightly browned. Makes 12 – I do 6 large then smaller muffins to freeze for snacks.
All these economical recipes live up to the title ‘Muffins Fast and Fantastic’